Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wow..where does the time go?


September is flying by and it is hard to believe that we started a new school year a month ago. We have been busy in room 226 getting to know each other. We have already completed a novel and a unit in social studies. We are done with Place Value and moving on to addition and subtraction (yes, the already know how to do this, I am assuming it is a refresher!). We have survived our first two fire drills and fall MAP testing.


And this Monday we will begin FLEX Groups. This is a touch subject in our school..FLEX groups. Mostly because you hear complaints that it is just one more thing we have to fit into the school day. Personally I like them. I feel confident that they are working...we did them all last year and out MAP scores went up in Math...WAY UP! In my all boy class last year, I had several students who had double digit growth in Math. And as much as I would love to take the credit for being a FABULOUS math teacher...I know that most of that growth came from FLEX groups.


So our schedule will change up a bit starting on Monday and I will have to figure out how to get everything done with 40 minuted less time with my boys in the classroom. We'll manage...and it will be worth it.because I know they will ROCK THE HOUSE between now and next Spring n Math on MAP.


Interim reports go home on Monday and I have conferences to plan for, the start of Student Council, and before you know it, it is going to be Thanksgiving break.


Aside form that, I am LOVING my boys. Friday they showed me just what they can accomplish...we had an A+ day...everyone was in attendance (first time in several weeks thanks to the flu bug going around). They brought their A Game to school and we got a lot accomplished. I am going to bake them some treats tomorrow to bring in on Monday. They deserve it. They just do!!


No comments: