Monday, February 1, 2010

#1 Snow Day? Seriously?


Okay, so we got a little snow (well, ice) here in the South over the weekend. Not nearly as much as the weather guy said we would. I want his/her job. Where else can you be wrong 90% of the time and still keep your job? Heck, my boys call me out if I call one of them by the wrong name. To which I wittily reply, "Hey, I have to remember all your names, you only have to remember mine!" Okay, there I go down a bunny trail...back to the snow.


So the weekend progresses, the temps rise yesterday, I finish grading every last paper for Monday. Plans are done...yada, yada. My phone rings at about 5pm and it is M, my next door neighbor at school. She is eager to inform me that we have the day off today. WHAT? There is not a flake of snow left in my yard...even the streets are clear. Meanwhile, my 9 year old and his friend are eavesdropping from the playroom (they really can hear you even when they are playing wii, and the volume is on 11--but only when it involves a day off from school).


Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I thank M (well, after we chatted for a while about how ridiculous a snow day is/and wondering when we'll have to make it up)..hang up and then call my actual neighbor-neighbors who are also teachers and let them all know there is no school today. I can hear their kids doing the happy dance in the background.


After that I decide to hop on the computer and verify (now that I have let the cat out of the bag) that we do in fact have a SNOW DAY today through official channels and look up the employee calendar to determine when we will have to make this day off up. I am happily surprised to see it won't be until May. Happy now, I'll be complaining later when we actually have to make it up. Then I head over to Facebook to spill the beans to my teacher friends on Facebook (most of whom have already heard) ..and reply to a few dozen posts about how ridiculous a snow day is, how we plan to enjoy it, and discussions about when we have to make the day up. Then I just sit back and relax in the reality that I can sleep in on a non-holiday Monday--- SWEEEEEET!


Oops- speaking of sweet...wonder if SWEET-T our class hamster has enough food to last until Tuesday! Guess I'll find out in the morning.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Jalen was so jealous! He still had school. He said Hi and he misses you!